As a summary if you don't want to dig into it:
Recent DBMS innovations make this a reality today, and the best cloud DBMS architectures will include:
- Shared-nothing, massively parallel processing (MPP) architecture.
- Automatic high availability.
- Ultra-high performance.
- Aggressive compression.
- Standards-based connectivity.
In summary, cloud databases with the architectural characteristics described above will be able to not just run in the cloud, but thrive there by:
- "Scaling out," as the cloud itself does
- Running fast without high-end or custom hardware
- Providing high availability in a fluid computing environment
- Minimizing data storage, transfer, and CPU utilization (to keep cloud computing fees low)