Some ideas for V2:
- Persistence Ignorance : We are looking at ways to introduce a full POCO solution for state management and interaction with the ObjectContext.
- N-Tier Support : Today we support Data Contract serialization of entities or exposing entities via Astoria, in V2 we would like to expand to a DataSet like experience where one can remote graphs and changes to the graphs across the wire using standard WCF services.
- Code-First : We want to enable a convention based, code only experience with EF wherein one may start with classes and opt-in to database generation and deployment. We expect that we would provide attributes and external mapping capabilities for people who wanted something beyond the convention based mapping.
- TDD Scenarios: With the introduction of POCO classes some of the TDD scenarios get a lot easier, and we are looking at incorporating some other asks to better fill out the scenario, such as making our ObjectQuery<T> and other generated members of our context and classes virtual.
- FK's : Today we support bi-directional relationships, and we are looking at introducing model concepts to facilitate the definition of FK like experiences in the model or in one's POCO classes.
- Lazy Loading: Today we support explicit lazy loading (calling .Load), and we are looking at various options around LoadOptions as well as outright implicit lazy loading.
- Query Tree Re-Writing: This allows framework developers to contextualy, vertically and horizontally filter query results.
See also Danny Simmon's blog, ADO.Net blog and the advisory council.